48Days.NET

Too Many Interests - None that seem to be able to generate an income!

Okay, so my hubby was laid off 10 months ago. He was an operations manager that was promoted within w/o a finished degree. No luck finding similar work, so he is stocking shelves at a grocery store (not enough to pay the bills). I am a realtor who has run out of money to market myself. Hubby has a beautiful voice and is our church worship leader. Many say he should do a recording, but he is not a song writer. He had started creating a small recording studio (he has the right recording equipment), but no money to finish. Other than real estate, I love to write (not songs!), love to help people and would love to get a ministry degree some day. Where do you start when you know what you love, but there is little to no definition of how to function financially in it??

Tags: business ideas, ministry, music, writing

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

www.voice123.com is a website for creating a voiceover profile and landing voiceover jobs. In case anyone is interested.
Thank you so much!!! I was beating my head against a wall this weekend trying to find out how to do this! I truly appreciate this!

Damion Cronin said:
www.voice123.com is a website for creating a voiceover profile and landing voiceover jobs. In case anyone is interested.
Music is the toughest gig to get. My suggestion is to "market" himself as a soloist with 'soundtrax' and visit local or regional churches and accept whatever offerings he may get. Selling cd's only works if you have something to sell. Everyone says to do this, not realizing that most artists lose a ton of money every year doing it. Stop buying recording equipment and buy PERFORMING equipment (a good portable sound system, digital music source, microphone).
If he is bent on making a recording, make a 4-5 song cd he can sell for about five bucks. People will buy those all day. Don't fill a cd with 'throw-away songs'. Many artists have about one good song, and 9 mediocre ones and have to charge 15-20 dollars.
Network a bunch of churches and give the pastors as references. (I sang at the Gospel Warehouse, and pastor Bob recommended I call you...)
Try this and be blessed
I agree with what several others have said; I'd look into writing and selling an ebook. It can be created in a relatively short amount of time if you already know your topic fairly well, and it doesn't cost you money to produce and market. You can put up multiple ebooks on your site, make them available for sale, and relax a bit while money comes in from folks as they discover them.

The best post I've read on basic ebook creation is this one by ProBlogger Ali Hale (though she gives hers away for free, you wouldn't have to, obviously.)

Here's her advice, and it's spot-on:
http://www.problogger.net/archives/2009/09/16/thirteen-steps-to-wri...
Thanks! His equipment can be used as performing, I believe. Since I posted all this (over a year ago) my husband found a mediocre job at a grocery store. It is very discouraging. Over 250 resumes, only 5 interviews and we are exhausted. Now with his work hours, and going back to school to finish his degree, he really does not have the availability he needs to get himself out there to pursue anything that is personally fulfilling. I have never felt so trapped in limbo in my life. Being over 40 and starting over stinks when you don't feel you have any real direction. I know God has not forgotten us, but when I think of how cut throat that industry is, it makes you wonder if it is worth it. I just hate to see talent not being used, but it is what it is, I guess. I will certainly show him your post and suggestion. Thank you for taking the time to share that with me.

ALAN LAY said:
Music is the toughest gig to get. My suggestion is to "market" himself as a soloist with 'soundtrax' and visit local or regional churches and accept whatever offerings he may get. Selling cd's only works if you have something to sell. Everyone says to do this, not realizing that most artists lose a ton of money every year doing it. Stop buying recording equipment and buy PERFORMING equipment (a good portable sound system, digital music source, microphone).
If he is bent on making a recording, make a 4-5 song cd he can sell for about five bucks. People will buy those all day. Don't fill a cd with 'throw-away songs'. Many artists have about one good song, and 9 mediocre ones and have to charge 15-20 dollars.
Network a bunch of churches and give the pastors as references. (I sang at the Gospel Warehouse, and pastor Bob recommended I call you...)
Try this and be blessed
Thanks Tracy! I will look into that site. Sounds interesting for sure!

Tracy Lucas said:
I agree with what several others have said; I'd look into writing and selling an ebook. It can be created in a relatively short amount of time if you already know your topic fairly well, and it doesn't cost you money to produce and market. You can put up multiple ebooks on your site, make them available for sale, and relax a bit while money comes in from folks as they discover them.

The best post I've read on basic ebook creation is this one by ProBlogger Ali Hale (though she gives hers away for free, you wouldn't have to, obviously.)

Here's her advice, and it's spot-on:
http://www.problogger.net/archives/2009/09/16/thirteen-steps-to-wri...

RSS

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2014   Created by Jon Dale.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service