48Days.NET

I keep hearing that the Sales Process is one of the most difficult phases of our business. Give me your thoughts on why this is a problem and what is the greatest obstacle.

Views: 25

Replies to This Discussion

Hi!

I own a salon & beauty school and I find that people are scared to make a change in stylists because they do not know what result they will get. A lady said to me yesterday, she wants a change, but she is scared. I think this can really cause a problem when trying to close the sale so to speak. How do you convince this type of person that you pretty much know your stuff and to trust your judgement???

Thanks in advance.
Pierce,
In my experience over the last 15 years working different sales jobs the one thing that stands out to me is what my latest Sales Leader calls "head trash". The idea that you - the salesman - have already decided in your own mind what the customer will say or will actually buy. So many deals go south all because the "belief" of the sales person was skewed and even unjustified because of circumstances or some kind of judgment made about the customer internally. As sales professionals we should be focused on how to serve and meet needs. But too often we make judgment calls about what this person can or cant afford just by looking at them or we simply let them be in control of the conversation and remain oblivious to what options are available. Bottom Line - You have to be in the process and functioning at FULL capacity to start seeing $ales and overcoming the barriers!!
Sharon,

Sorry to be so long getting back to you...I had a chance to speak with some successful Hair Stylists and asked questions about how they got started.

One great response was to make yourself available during times when other stylists are not available. For example; if you find that a lot of stylists are not open on Mondays or in the evenings, use those times as promotions to get people to know you.

I know a couple of Stylists at my church who gives haircuts on a particular Sunday afternoon and they give the proceeds to the Church as their way of contributing to a building fund or missions. They only do this on special occasions but it allows people in the congregation to contribute and give at the same time plus it exposes you to new clients. It is a win/win.

Other ideas would be to offer some type of guarantee...that may be dangerous in your business though.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best.

Pierce
www.slowdownthegame.com
Sharon Reid said:
Hi!

I own a salon & beauty school and I find that people are scared to make a change in stylists because they do not know what result they will get. A lady said to me yesterday, she wants a change, but she is scared. I think this can really cause a problem when trying to close the sale so to speak. How do you convince this type of person that you pretty much know your stuff and to trust your judgement???

Thanks in advance.
I agree, but my problem is that I THINK I am answering their questions, but perhaps not confidently as I wonder am I or am I giving benefits from my standpoint. Hard to discern sometimes.
Couldnt agree more Kirk and Ashley....I want to right to the solution (D personality in high gear). I am learning the 30/70 rule.....a lot of retraining my brain!!!
Ashley Logsdon said:
I agree with Kirk...I'm such an opportunist, I always see more and more things I can do...to the point of overwhelming a potential client. There are so many resources and opportunities I can show to people that I have to really reign in just throwing it all at them at once. I need to work on the give and take--stepping back some and letting them ask instead of dumping it all. I need to take the moments to truly listen with intent on what they are saying!
Great points Jory! Thanks for the outline......

Jory Butler said:
Hi Pierce,

There are 4 steps in overcoming the obstacle in CLOSING.
1. Qualification
2. Rapport
3. Education
4. Natural CLOSE.

This is the system I use to check myself throughout the sales process. If I havent qualified them for a product or service, then I am talking the the wrong person. If they just dont have the money or time, I give them resources to help.
If I dont build trust during the rapport stage, then Why would someone want to do business? I then give them the benefits with working with me and educate on my process of service. THEN and only then am I allowed to close. If you skip a step you will know it when YOU ASK FOR THE ORDER. If you missed a step then go back. Mother may I? Yes you may!
Nancy,

The method that has worked for me is to just ask, "Why did you contact me? & What exactly do you want me to help with?" This lets the potential client to tell me exactly what I need to say. This keeps me from concentrating on benefits that I think are important but may not be important to the potential client. Another tip that may help you is; restate the issue back to them. If you don't have it correct they will let you know.

Scott Doehrman
www.thefinancecoach.net

Nancy Sherman said:
I agree, but my problem is that I THINK I am answering their questions, but perhaps not confidently as I wonder am I or am I giving benefits from my standpoint. Hard to discern sometimes.

RSS

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2014   Created by Jon Dale.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service