48Days.NET

Hello Everyone.

I have had some success selling prints of some of my animal folk art paintings, and have been mulling over the idea of painting duplicates of originals that have sold especially well and then selling those on eBay.

(I feel that actual paint, brush strokes and canvas may sell better than a print)

Anyone know if this strategy is common?

How would I present this in the item description if the painting is not an original but has the same quality and care put in it as the original?

I do sell prints every now and then and understand the power of saving time with electronic duplication. However I would like to sell original artwork because of the quality and unique framing possibilities. I do not want to invest in giclee' prints at this time since I am small time. You can see some of my prints here on my personal website: http://folkanimals.com/folk-art-animal-paintings/

Thanks for your time!
Jamy

Tags: artwork, ebay, paintings, selling

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jamy,
I looked at your site and like your work. I think you may have answered your own question when you made the statement "I would like to sell original artwork". Once you paint a duplicate on one you've done is it really an original. To me original means I've got the only one, others would have prints of fakes. Painting the same picture and changing the color scheme, adding additional details could lend itself to still being an original. Take the goat for instance. You've got a straight on shot of the head and a profile of the whole body. Why not do the straight on shot with the head turned slightly, or do the profile but with the goat eating grass. You have a similar painting that you might be able to do quicker, but the change in the placement still makes it original. I think there are many ways you could picture the same subject and make each an original.

Hope this sparks some ideas.

Jim
To build on Jim's excellent reply, I would add that you could also emphasize these are "hand-painted" and "signed editions". By the way, I love the rooster painting at the bottom of your website. There are a lot of USC gamecock fans here in South Carolina who would probably like having one of those for their game-rooms.
Hello Jim and Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to respond...
"hand painted" and "signed editions" are just the kind of words I was looking for when sculpting my eBay description... i think i will try my rooster in a different color scheme or with a different twist as Jim suggested.

I really appreciate your advice guys... thanks again and have a good week!
:o)
Jamy
Great.. thanks for the advice Andrea!
Have a great week :)
Jamy
Checkout Jim Cockrum's site about selling stuff on ebay. This guy is an expert and makes a very nice living with selling stuff, internet marketing and training.

http://www.jimcockrum.com/blog/

Scott......
very interesting link, thanks Scott.

RSS

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2014   Created by Jon Dale.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service