48Days.NET

Hey guys,

I'm in school for Computer Drafting and Design, learning autocad and the like. One of the other programs that we are learning is Adobe Photoshop. So here's my question: are there other people in the community that use photoshop or illistrator as a side business or their main form of income. Is there alot of demand for these skills? Is there good money in with this area? If so how do you manage your income? Do you have a business or do you jsut save a portion of your income for taxes? I really dont know much about how a business of this sort works. Any help in this area would be greatly appriceated I would love to use any extra income to pay off my student loans.

Thanks for your help!

Josh

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd say it's not about the skills, but how you're marketing them, Josh.

Managing your income and taxes is no different than any other business. Check out this interview I did with Charlie. http://www.coachradio.tv/166-coach-radio-architect-to-designer-char...

He's in demand all over the world for his skills. I hired him for to help me create the six figure coaching model. I love how he got to where he is.

Joshua,

I will speak to the Photoshop aspect.  Is it a valuable skill? Yes.  Can someone make money with Photoshop? Yes.  Justin is completely correct in saying its how you market those skills.  For example.. you could use Photoshop to create custom greeting cards.  Or, you could use Photoshop to create great looking email newsletter templates.  Or you can focus on artistic photography for creating posters.   Different industries, using PS for different markets, but using the same software.  

If you truly enjoy working with images and graphics, then learning Photoshop through and through will be an asset.  I would suggest going through as many tutorials as possible and learning the keyboard shortcuts.  Get to where you barely need the mouse at all, then you'll be flyin!

As far as making money from PS, if you're going to focus on becoming a graphic designer, then Photoshop and Illustrator may be your main tools.  

It really does depend on market you gravitate to.  If you end up managing email marketing campaigns, then you will need to know additional skills such as, HTML and CSS + an email delivery system.  

Good luck in your Photoshop adventures!

Jer

Josh,

I think Jeremy and Justin have answered your questions very well.  I just had a thought...you may want to check out sites like freelancer.com & elance.com.  I don't have any experience with them, but I do think they have a lot of photoshop projects on them.

Best wishes as you move forward,

Josh

I mainly use Illustrator. Since I've been in the screen printing field since out of college, it's all I use. Vector is king! I also use photoshop. But can't say I make money using it. I use it mostly for web stuff. I've also done photo retouching with it. 

As for taxes it depends on how much I make that year. I currently do not have a "business" so to speak. But in Ohio if you make under a certain amount you don't have to claim it.

In the computer/graphic design fields Adobe creative suite will be big to learn and know. I think knowing auto cad will help you. I tend to see a lot of job openings requiring that. I'd really love to have my own business, but I just don't have the know how I suppose. I'd love to see any work/portfolio pieces you might have. I'm always love looking at other artist's work. 

RSS

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Registration for Innovate is open for a limited time - go ahead and secure your spot at one of our events this year!
Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2014   Created by Jon Dale.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service