48Days.NET

Hello everyone,

So I have been going through a very extensive process of trying to discover my passion, characteristics, and talents over the last 2 months. I have taken multiple personality assessments, read about 10 non fiction books and really trying to be honest and intentional in my actions. As well as engaging in a bundle of activities I enjoy (writing, running, improving freindships, actively involved with my church, etc).  

As time has gone on, it seems very apparent that many of my skills and passions are aligned with counseling/coaching. I love helping people sort thru their challenges, my friends and often people I just met will open up to me immensely about a variety of issues, I love helping people find direction and set goals. I flat out love reading any book related to self development. I have a Bachelors in pyschology, was a teacher for 4 years have worked with foster youth and mentally ill adults. Currently I live and work in Japan where I am teaching english and learning about life in another culture.  

In this process of career discovery, it has been mentioned to me many times "what about career coaching? or life coaching?" I am very interested in being a life coach but my concern is that I am simply too young and inexperienced to provide people with advice on how to live life. I am very optimistic but also respect the effort and discipline it requires to be successful. I am concerned that it is arrogant of me to think that I have enough experience to start providing life advice to others.  I am just about to turn 30 years old. What are your thoughts on this?

Another quick piece of information. My current job ends in August and I will be returning to America at that time which means I can use my current free time to work on anything related to starting up my own coaching business.

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Izmael,

I love what Charlotta said.  I would also add that people will many times use a coach to help set goals, identify actifvities that will help accomplish those goals and set a timetable for taking specific action.  My personal trainer is basically an accountability coach.  I've been with him almost a year.  By now, I pretty much know what to do, but I continue to go to him regularly because the appointment assures me that I will actually take the action.  I do count on him to do some research and throw in new, cutting edge stuff, but again, I could do this myself.  He keeps the activity going and doesn't let me off the hook.  I think many people may need this type of motivation in their career coaching to keep from giving in to the easier option of pity parties and inactivity.

Hope this helps.  BTW, I trust you read 48 Days.  I thought it was awesome, and I really didn't care how old Dan was.  It was a non-issue.  No matter how old you get, there will always be clients older.  The day there aren't any older, you may consider retiring.  :)

Anja

HAHA! Very True Anja.

Yeah, I have read 48 days a few times now and I love it! I reccomend it quite often :). You bring up an interesting point regarding staying with a coach even though you can do it yourself. I guess that gets down to having good relationships with people.

RSS

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2014   Created by Jon Dale.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service